cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other College Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Hardest college-to-pro transition (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3238)

The Borg 07-21-2006 07:01 PM

Hardest college-to-pro transition

Which sport has the hardest transition making the jump from successful college sport to the professional ranks?

NBA - only two rounds in the draft...and it seems there are so many busts.

NFL - seems to do fairly well with draft picks and how they will work out.

MLB - since their draft starts after a successful completion of the 3rd grade...not sure about how baseball works, and how their prospects work out.

Hockey - don't the Canadians give up their male children at birth to the highest bidding franchise? How does hockey fare with their 'draft'.

Archaea 07-21-2006 07:11 PM

Easy: cycling. I've never heard of a college cyclist going pro.

MikeWaters 07-21-2006 07:12 PM

swimming. how many college swimmers become professional swimmers? or even tennis.

MikeWaters 07-21-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea
Easy: cycling. I've never heard of a college cyclist

The college at Wichita Falls (where Hotter N Hell 100 is) has a cycling team. with scholarships.

The Borg 07-21-2006 07:15 PM

Ok...'major' professional sports

...one's that are followed by majority of sporting fans, ie: NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL

Venkman 07-21-2006 10:04 PM

I'd have to say MLB. It's difficult to make a true apples to apples comparison because of the minor leagues and the fact that a many MLBers never played college ball. But if you put the minor leagues as an equivalent to college ball (not sure if that's a fair comparison - IlPad help me out) then I think it's the most difficult.

I guess it comes down to my belief that of all the major team sports, baseball is the most skill driven, as opposed to athleticism driven.

il Padrino Ute 07-22-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman
I'd have to say MLB. It's difficult to make a true apples to apples comparison because of the minor leagues and the fact that a many MLBers never played college ball. But if you put the minor leagues as an equivalent to college ball (not sure if that's a fair comparison - IlPad help me out) then I think it's the most difficult.

I guess it comes down to my belief that of all the major team sports, baseball is the most skill driven, as opposed to athleticism driven.

That's a good comparison, though I'd say college ball is closer to the lower minor league levels (double A for the top college teams and single A for most of the rest). I don't know if it's necessarily a more difficult transition in baseball over the other sports; my guess is that it's pretty much an equally tough move from college to pro. The pros are there because nobody is better than then they are.

The one advantage that baseball has over the other sports is the farm system where they're able to hone their skills over time in order to advance - though it doesn't guarantee that they'll ever get to the big leagues.

Of course, the most difficult thing isn't getting to that level, but staying at that level.

RockyBalboa 07-22-2006 06:13 PM

I'd say the NFL.

These guys are under more scrutiny in a sport that is much more popular, physically demanding, and complex.

El Guapo 07-25-2006 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Borg
Which sport has the hardest transition making the jump from successful college sport to the professional ranks?

NBA - only two rounds in the draft...and it seems there are so many busts.

NFL - seems to do fairly well with draft picks and how they will work out.

MLB - since their draft starts after a successful completion of the 3rd grade...not sure about how baseball works, and how their prospects work out.

Hockey - don't the Canadians give up their male children at birth to the highest bidding franchise? How does hockey fare with their 'draft'.

Not even a single vote for bowling?