cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My stake paying for all youth 14-18 to go to BYU bball game (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6271)

MikeWaters 01-29-2007 08:20 PM

My stake paying for all youth 14-18 to go to BYU bball game

So not only do tithing funds go to fund BYU, same funds are used to pay for members to attend said games.

I love it!

I'm hoping they fly us up for a football game this fall. At the very least, such funds used in going to games, should be tithing -deductible.

Goatnapper'96 01-29-2007 08:24 PM

Do you have any outspoken LDS Utes

in your stake?

Their stringpulling will be classic. I love the whine on the Non-BYU LDS fan when those in authority are favorably disposed towards the BYU. Personally, I don't really care and I find neither side on the highground, but the victim complex that could follow is priceless to those of us who love to antagonize pussies.

mpfunk 01-29-2007 08:30 PM

It would have been great to be in a Stake like that growing up. I could find a way to get to Salt Lake City and attend a Ute game and actually enjoy myself.

Archaea 01-29-2007 08:52 PM

This is a stake by stake decision. Ours pays for us to attend from time to time.

IT is great to put Ute tithing funds to a great purpose.

RockyBalboa 01-29-2007 09:16 PM

last time BYU played UNLV in Vegas, the group I was with was staying at a friends house.

Their entire stake had bought tickets to the UNLV/BYU game and some were UNLV fans. The people we were staying with were anyway.

I think they were disapointed in the 55-14 drubbing...or whatever the score was. In fact the morning of the game they had a big stake "tailgate" at the Stake Center serving a big breakfast.

il Padrino Ute 01-30-2007 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 57138)
So not only do tithing funds go to fund BYU, same funds are used to pay for members to attend said games.

I love it!

I'm hoping they fly us up for a football game this fall. At the very least, such funds used in going to games, should be tithing -deductible.

Is your stake buying $1 tickets?

I'm one Ute fan that doesn't have a problem with something like this as I'm sure it will encourage the youth of your stake to go to school at home when they find out what weenies zoobs really are. ;)

Detroitdad 01-30-2007 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 57266)
Is your stake buying $1 tickets?

I'm one Ute fan that doesn't have a problem with something like this as I'm sure it will encourage the youth of your stake to go to school at home when they find out what weenies zoobs really are. ;)

Where did the term zoob come from? I think it makes the person calling the name sound gayer than the target. Inquiring minds want to know.

Surfah 01-30-2007 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 57269)
Where did the term zoob come from? I think it makes the person calling the name sound gayer than the target. Inquiring minds want to know.

My understanding is that it comes from all the kids born to young parents attending BYU. So it became known as a BYZoo. And the offspring known as zoobies. And zoob for short. At least that's my interpretation of the term.

I hate zoob and I hate yewt.

il Padrino Ute 01-30-2007 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 57269)

Legend has it the term came about because BYU is like a Zoo, whose inmates roam the grounds seeking mates, thus people associated with it are Zoobies. Also, if you live in a Zoo, your reality is only perceived by yourself, not to anyone elso who sees you. The Lions in the Savhanna display might think they are in Africa, but everyone else knows they are in the Zoo.

il Padrino Ute 01-30-2007 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 57272)
My understanding is that it comes from all the kids born to young parents attending BYU. So it became known as a BYZoo. And the offspring known as zoobies. And zoob for short. At least that's my interpretation of the term.

I hate zoob and I hate yewt.

I'm not particularly fond of it, but I use it as a way to differentiate between the true BYU fans and those who think God cares more about BYU than any other school or team.