cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Definition of Mullah? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7891)

bYuPride 04-24-2007 04:59 PM

Definition of Mullah?

what's your definition of a mullah?

tooblue 04-24-2007 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 76077)

See: tooblue

creekster 04-24-2007 05:14 PM

Mullahs = those with whom you disagree or who criticze you but with whom you share a religious belief.

Intellectual = 1. When used publicly, those who seem smart or those whose posts you don't understand; 2. when used privately, yourself and those that agree with you; 3. when used by Rocky, those without fully functional reproductive capabilities.

Jeff Lebowski 04-24-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 76085)
Mullahs = those with whom you disagree or who criticze you but with whom you share a religious belief.

Intellectual = 1. When used publicly, those who seem smart or those whose posts you don't understand; 2. when used privately, yourself and those that agree with you; 3. when used by Rocky, those without fully functional reproductive capabilities.

Well done.

Indy Coug 04-24-2007 05:24 PM

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Hom...es/peanuts.png

RockyBalboa 04-24-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 76077)

As the conscience of Cougarguard,,it would be anyone who disagrees, mocks, makes fun of or calls out an intellectual on his B.S. :) In a caustic way of course.

SeattleUte 04-24-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 76085)

I guess I better stop calling people Mullahs if that's it.

I would define Mullahs differently. They are those who take an unrealistically literal and absolutist view of religious canon and dogma and pronouncements by religious leaders. They usually feel discomfort placing religion in historical context, providing historical or empirical explanations for religion, or engaging in Biblical or B of M or B of A or D&C exegesis. Typically they see such activities as worse than a fool's errand; they see such activities as flirting with damnation, indeed, the adversay himself.

creekster 04-24-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 76104)
I guess I better stop calling people Mullahs if that's it.

I would define Mullahs differently. They are those who take an unrealistically literal and absolutist view of religious canon and dogma and pronouncements by religious leaders. They usually feel discomfort placing religion in historical context, providing historical or empirical explanations for religion, or engaging in Biblical or B of M exegesis. Typically they see such activities as worse than a fool's errand; they see such activities as flirting with damnation, indeed, the adversay himself.

Lighten up Francis. I was trying to be funny (apparently without much success). The key to my point was your use of the word "unrealistically". unrealistic according to who? It is all subjective. Mullah to you is all of us, almost. Mullah to me is something else altogether. Mullah is always the other guy, who is being unreasonable. It is always that way. Mullah is intended to mean someone is being unreasonable and none of us ever are, even you and Rocky (to pick a couple of extremes), if you ask us.

SeattleUte 04-24-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 76106)
Lighten up Francis. I was trying to be funny (apparently without much success). The key to my point was your use of the word "unrealistically". unrealistic according to who? It is all subjective. Mullah to you is all of us, almost. Mullah to me is something else altogether. Mullah is always the other guy, who is being unreasonable. It is always that way. Mullah is intended to mean someone is being unreasonable and none of us ever are, even you and Rocky (to pick a couple of extremes), if you ask us.

Lighten up, Francis. There is always an element of the dark comic speaking in my posts. I anticipated someone would seize on my use of "unrealistically." As you know, I don't believe in using TIC. Still, as with most good comedy, there is a core of truth to what I wrote.

Tooblue has this inferiority complex that he's regarded as a mullah; he has mullahish tendencies but I think he really would be an impure mullah.

creekster 04-24-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 76114)
Lighten up, Francis. There is always an element of the dark comic speaking in my posts. I anticipated someone would seize on my use of "unrealistically." As you know, I don't believe in using TIC. Still, as with most good comedy, there is a core of truth to what I wrote.

Tooblue has this inferiority complex that he's regarded as a mullah; he has mullahish tendencies but I think he really would be an impure mullah.

I am trying far too hard to be funny today to lighten up. Sorry.