cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Is the foundation of the hoops program (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9055)

Goatnapper'96 06-14-2007 05:10 AM

Is the foundation of the hoops program

cracking?

Granted it is BYU hoops and I doubt many of us have exceptionally high expectations, but just when it looked like Dave Rose had BYU poised to be about as good as they could be....

Ever since that Lamar game it has been one swift kick to the scrotal sack after another. After the success of this year in all things, the callous we had all developed during the misery of the previous years had started to subside. Now I am having to toughen up again for roundball.

The spring recruiting period was disinteresting to disapointing. BYU lost what I thought was a pretty crucial assistant coach. BYU lost out on an RM highly recruited perimeter player who had played high school ball for one of BYU's remaining assistants. Now the Y has lost a promising player, which now means that the recruiting class from last year is 1/2 decimated before two of them even suited up with Luiz de Toledo going pro. There is still talent for the next couple of years to be solid and perhaps compete for the MWC championship, but I gotta admit what has happened in the past 3 months has not inspired great confidence in me.

I don't know if it is time to panic, but it sure appears to be less than a firm foundation.

il Padrino Ute 06-14-2007 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 89846)
cracking?

Granted it is BYU hoops and I doubt many of us have exceptionally high expectations, but just when it looked like Dave Rose had BYU poised to be about as good as they could be....

Ever since that Lamar game it has been one swift kick to the scrotal sack after another. After the success of this year in all things, the callous we had all developed during the misery of the previous years had started to subside. Now I am having to toughen up again for roundball.

The spring recruiting period was disinteresting to disapointing. BYU lost what I thought was a pretty crucial assistant coach. BYU lost out on an RM highly recruited perimeter player who had played high school ball for one of BYU's remaining assistants. Now the Y has lost a promising player, which now means that the recruiting class from last year is 1/2 decimated before two of them even suited up with Luiz de Toledo going pro. There is still talent for the next couple of years to be solid and perhaps compete for the MWC championship, but I gotta admit what has happened in the past 3 months has not inspired great confidence in me.

I don't know if it is time to panic, but it sure appears to be less than a firm foundation.

Perhaps you need to use your powers of influence to tap the talent of Simi Valley? I mean, your family and the one that produced one of the most annoying Sister missionaries in the Italy Catania Mission way back in the summer of '84 in the mission city itself can't be the only Mormons there, right?

Goatnapper'96 06-14-2007 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 89850)
Perhaps you need to use your powers of influence to tap the talent of Simi Valley? I mean, your family and the one that produced one of the most annoying Sister missionaries in the Italy Catania Mission way back in the summer of '84 in the mission city itself can't be the only Mormons there, right?

Only Simi Valley kid to serve in Italy I knew was a Hixon. He was a male, but I do remember moving wayyyy up when he went to bat in slowpitch softball.

Simi Valley has produced very few good LDS athletes. But we all knew if we ever could have convinced Curtis Marsh to go to class, we might have won a game or two in football in '88 when we finished 0-10.

Who is this sister you recall from my homefront?

il Padrino Ute 06-14-2007 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 89852)
Only Simi Valley kid to serve in Italy I knew was a Hixon. He was a male, but I do remember moving wayyyy up when he went to bat in slowpitch softball.

Simi Valley has produced very few good LDS athletes. But we all knew if we ever could have convinced Curtis Marsh to go to class, we might have won a game or two in football in '88 when we finished 0-10.

Right now, her name escapes me. Perhaps I've repressed it. I'll go through my mission stuff and let you know.

Of course, you now know that I'll be up half the night now looking for pictures. Just a little bit of OCD on my part.

jay santos 06-14-2007 02:32 PM

Losing Cameron doesn't bother me much. Losing Roese, Garrett, and Otero did bother me. It was an unfortunate offseason for BYU, but I don't see it as a signal there's something wrong in the program. I'll call it bad luck for now until I see more data points.

Venkman 06-14-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 89889)
Losing Cameron doesn't bother me much. Losing Roese, Garrett, and Otero did bother me. It was an unfortunate offseason for BYU, but I don't see it as a signal there's something wrong in the program. I'll call it bad luck for now until I see more data points.

I'm hoping it's just bad luck. Given the season last year, it doesn't make sense that something's amiss. But who knows... I certainly don't have the warm fuzzies at this point.

Venkman 06-14-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 89852)

The Simi Valley chicks I knew down at the zoo were pretty wild. Not that I had any first hand(s?) experience...

BYU71 06-14-2007 04:21 PM

I talked to a former player

who had been involved with Reid, Cleveland and Rose. We talked BB and he was quite upbeat on Rose as a coach. He said Reid was a great X and O coach and we both agreed what finally did him in was publicly saying what a lot of BYU fans think. I actually think Reid was a mentor to many of the posters on TBS.

He was positive on Rose the coach. Suprisingly he didn't know much about the players who were recruited. He didn't know about the kid we have coming from New York.

One other funny thing. He said attendance also hurt Reid. He kind of agreed with me. Winning brings in fans, not a lack of HC violations.:)

Archaea 06-14-2007 04:32 PM

Have we replaced Roese? His loss is substantial as is the loss of Otero.

I don't like losing Cameron either.

Something is amiss; either we're about to make good or bad changes.

mpfunk 06-14-2007 05:27 PM

We can all hope that the foundation of the hoops program is crumbling, just like we can all hope that Boylen is repairing the foundation of the Utes hoop program.

I think this looks like a horribly disappointing offseason for BYU hoops, but I don't know if that is a sign of things to come or not.