cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Nichols & Mcveigh and 'enhanced interrogation' (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9184)

8ballrollin 06-18-2007 04:19 PM

Nichols & Mcveigh and 'enhanced interrogation'

Was either of the two men convicted in the Oklahoma City Bombings subject to 'enhanced interrogation' before their trials? I looked but could not see anything concrete. I did see a reference to the fact that Nichols’ nine hour FBI interrogation was not taped, which seems weird.

I don't really have a point to my question, just curious as to how it was handled. It seems you could make an argument to torture them, if you supported torture, because who was to say there was not a second bombing eminent? On the flip side, if we didn’t torture them, why not? Are dudes caught in the highland plains of Afghanistan any more of a threat to the people and property of the US than Nichols and Mcveigh were?

MikeWaters 06-18-2007 04:21 PM

I asked this to Snipe, about torturing people in cases like this. He said it was a stupid question and they had nothing to do with each other.

il Padrino Ute 06-18-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 91066)
I asked this to Snipe, about torturing people in cases like this. He said it was a stupid question and they had nothing to do with each other.

I see no difference between Nichols/McVeigh and Al Qaida. All are terrorists.

MikeWaters 06-18-2007 04:24 PM

The obvious legal difference is that McVeigh and Nichols were American citizens.

Tex 06-18-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 91071)
I see no difference between Nichols/McVeigh and Al Qaida. All are terrorists.

American citizenship means nothing to you?

il Padrino Ute 06-18-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 91075)

Nichols and McVeigh blew up a building and killed innocent victims.

Al Qaida blew up buildings and killed innocent victims.

What's the difference? Terrorists commit acts of terror regardless citizenship.

UteStar 06-18-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

So what are you saying Tex...american born terrorists should be treated differently than foreign born terrorists. What do you mean by your comment? American citizens should be treated in a better manner?

Archaea 06-18-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 91074)
The obvious legal difference is that McVeigh and Nichols were American citizens.

Absolutely, as American citizens they are entitled to full Constitutional protections, and I believe lawfully immigrated aliens also enjoy such status. I'm not certain as to the legal protections afforded unlawfully admitted aliens.

8ballrollin 06-18-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

So if an American-born Al-Qaida member knows of a 'ticking-bomb' you treat them differently? Just asking.

Archaea 06-18-2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ballrollin (Post 91081)
So if an American-born Al-Qaida member knows of a 'ticking-bomb' you treat them differently? Just asking.

I fully support different rights for non-resident aliens who fight our forces abroad.