cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Riding Emigration Canyon with the Borg (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9500)

bYuPride 06-29-2007 04:29 PM

Riding Emigration Canyon with the Borg

It was a lot of fun. The Borg is a really cool guy and I know we all really hope he can do ULCER, but I understand if he is just going to do Sawtooth though. It looks beautiful. Anyway, the climb was really tough for me, but we made it all the way to the top. Lots of fun!

BarbaraGordon 06-29-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 95670)
It was a lot of fun. The Borg is a really cool guy and I know we all really hope he can do ULCER, but I understand if he is just going to do Sawtooth though. It looks beautiful. Anyway, the climb was really tough for me, but we made it all the way to the top. Lots of fun!

Wow. You met the Borg? How does he ride with all those robotic implants? Don't they weigh him down?

Congrats on the climb. I'm fully expecting to roll backwards down the first baby hill in Montana.

bYuPride 06-29-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 95679)
Wow. You met the Borg? How does he ride with all those robotic implants? Don't they weigh him down?

Congrats on the climb. I'm fully expecting to roll backwards down the first baby hill in Montana.

the Borg was wearing one of those sleevless jerseys you like so much. we met some lady at the top of the canyon who was wearing a LOTOJA jersey and she looked as if she was ready to climb mt. everest. crazy. you'll do awesome.

Archaea 06-29-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 95715)
the Borg was wearing one of those sleevless jerseys you like so much. we met some lady at the top of the canyon who was wearing a LOTOJA jersey and she looked as if she was ready to climb mt. everest. crazy. you'll do awesome.

My wife does not ride fast, but she's constant and can climb anything. Her week this week included 250 miles of riding and 25,000 feet of climbing. She gets a new chain every month.

bYuPride 06-29-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 95722)
My wife does not ride fast, but she's constant and can climb anything. Her week this week included 250 miles of riding and 25,000 feet of climbing. She gets a new chain every month.

that sounds awesome! that sounds like some good climbing. how does one know when they need a new chain?

bluegoose 06-29-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 95722)

What?!?! I think Mrs. Archaea needs to get a job or volunteer at the hospital or something with all of that extra time that she has. Thats an insane amount of time in the saddle.

bluegoose 06-29-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bYuPride (Post 95724)
that sounds awesome! that sounds like some good climbing. how does one know when they need a new chain?

Typically when the chain gets stretched out you start to have shifting issues. If you have a hard time getting into a certain gear and cogs look okay and the derailer is functioning properly, its probably time to replace the chain. I usually get several thousand miles out of my chain.

Archaea 06-29-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 95735)
Typically when the chain gets stretched out you start to have shifting issues. If you have a hard time getting into a certain gear and cogs look okay and the derailer is functioning properly, its probably time to replace the chain. I usually get several thousand miles out of my chain.

It's a feel thing, but usually after 1500 to 2000 miles of normal riding and much less if it's all climbing.

bYuPride 06-29-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 95735)

okay... so i have PLENTY of time! thanks.

Archaea 06-29-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 95731)
What?!?! I think Mrs. Archaea needs to get a job or volunteer at the hospital or something with all of that extra time that she has. Thats an insane amount of time in the saddle.

Well she does volunteer for the tri team, the bike team, the race team, the schools, the charity league, the library, the cancer children, the schools' choirs. It's one of the reasons I never see her.

She asked me why I wasn't volunteering for this race on Saturday, not wanting to offend I didn't inform her, because "you always do."