View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #52
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
My bottom line is, does it affect me getting a Temple Recommend. In my simple world requirements for the Temple are commandments and all else is counsel.

We need to have the separation. That is so those that follow the counsel can look down on those who don't and tell them how rotten and disobedient they are. Otherwise it wouldn't be fun for them.
I agree with that 100%. I neither look down my nose at, nor feel inferior to, folks who try hard to follow every bit of counsel spoken. I personally can't keep up with all of it and if it doesn't affect my temple recommend I don't worry about it. There have been many people who to one degree or another decide to devote their lives entirely to God, study and obedience. Monks are a good example but there are lots of examples short of that. I'm sure for some that is fulfilling and maybe they are better than me. I am too busy just living, taking care of my family and enjoying life to have much angst over number of earrings, white shirts, etc.

My wife has multiple piercings. I am about half and half white shirt blue shirt to church. I don't have a tattoo but don't think its a big deal if you want one. I just can't get excited about it one way or the other.