View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
My dad is a dental lab technician, he's going to make the crown for me. I was instructed that under no circumstances should I allow my dentist to do a crown like you just described above. My dad said those crowns are just junk because they're too soft, and don't hold up very well, especially for a back molar and people are always getting those replaced when they break. He says he can make me one that will last 20+ years.

I'm mostly concerned how long it will take them to grind my tooth down to a little stump. Does it take a couple of hours, or minutes, what? Sounds miserable.
He may be right, but let me tell you I love mine. In addition to the time saved, I have never had to return to have adjustments made in the ones that were made on the spot, but I have to other ones. (I have about 6 now.) Moreover, 20 years from now I'll probabyl be dead, so what the heck.

Drilling time depends on where in the mouth and how hard it is, but probabyl ranges from 10-20 minutes. The difficult part is you can feel all the pieces of tooth or prior filling (most of mine are from prior fillings) flying around your mouth. If you have had deep fillings, and you proabbyl have if you had one collapse needing a crown, you'll probabyl be ok with the drilling aprt, as it's not much worse.