View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 12:32 AM   #41
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Funding should be in proportion to curability.

Prostate, a common occurence; breast is also.

In reality, I would listen to physicians in establishing priorities.

Because I would want to know proximity to cure, numbers in US affected and costs of cure.

AIDS is political, the other diseases are not. I'm against politics in general.

Of course, funding for AIDS will continue, but why not make it proportional to US numbers?

Africa has so many problems, not the least of which is AIDS, but to me, Africa's problems are unsolvable until it develops true, good leaders. We outsiders can't give them that.

Did you weep about the killing fields of Cambodia?

I have never advocated no funding, but do not agree with the disproportionate funding that has occurred because it's the favorite "gay disease", which it is here in the US.

I find it foolhardy for US research policy to be significantly altered based on what's occurring in Africa.

A nation state's expenditures are based on its own security first. We fund AIDS here because it is a known health risk, a threat to our security. Threats to the security of Africa's population should not be our main funding concern. To me, that's simply pragmatic. It has nothing to do with fault, and everything to do with what makes practical sense. Biggest bang for the buck for local populace.

The US did not create the Africa AIDS problem; hence we do not have a higher duty to fix it than anybody else. It will not promote our immediate or even long term self-interest.

If individuals want to do so, then they should in whatever proportions they desire.