View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm sorry, but I just cannot see putting the Patriot Act (my words, not yours) above a nuclear-armed al-Qaeda as the greatest looming threat to American society.

If Bush had declared himself a king, dissolved Congress and the Supreme Court, re-written the Constitution, and commandeered exclusive and autonomous control over the military, then you might have a point.

Short of that, it's just foolhardy to say so.
You are talking about a different time frame. My point is that in the long run, there is no real threat from radical islam. Over the long run, the only threat to us is us. In the short term, some group like Al- Qaeda might use a nuclear device, but in MO that will not destroy us or our system.

Quote:
You do what it takes to win. If bombing civilians is the last tactic left in your arsenal, and you believe it will bring about the desired result, then you do it.
This is, of course, the exact justification relied on by terrorists for car bombs, and women and children bombs, etc. Hopefully we will always try to be more discrimiante than that.

Quote:
Given that we haven't been attacked in so long, it appears that the decision NOT to do so was probably the right one. Moreover, we are trying to win "hearts and minds" in addition to the military war, and killing civilians who might otherwise side with us is not exactly the way to go about doing that.
It has not been that long. Yours is an american attitude, not a middle eastern attitude.