View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

See, this thread is what I mean by me not being in your guys league; the death ride? Cat 5 racing? Not me. Not even close.

That being said, I love speedplays but my anecdotal evidecne from friends and acquaihntrances is that they are not better to solve foot numbness and in fact can excarebate it. I have never perswonally experienced the problem, but I know people that claim they have. Mike's medical nackground can tell me if this is incorrect, but my understanding is that the numbness comes from pressure on nerves. Speedplays tend to cause hot spot problems with a couple of my friends wich they claim leads to numbness. Even a very minor change in 0pressure to nerves can cause a huge problem (I once used new gloves for a century and ended up with numbness in my left hand for three weeks), so try changing up little things to see if it improves, like moving the cleat back, thicker socks, move the saddle forward or back a ittle, etc.

My problem comes in sore knees when riding w/o suifficient float and I have never had that soreness since I switched to speedplay. PLenty of float. It takes a week or two to get used tot he the walking on ice feeling. Now when I use other pedals systems (spd on mky mtn bike) I feel locked in.

Sorry about the typos, but I am in a big hurry. I just couldn't miss the chance to pontificate about speedplays, as the opportunity arises sor arely in my regular life.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote