View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 AM   #37
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No validation needed. Just showing the other side. Mormons think it would be so awful to have an inactive spouse. I think it would be terrible to be in the shoes of the unbelieving spouse in my hypothetical.
Seems like some communication and consideration could work the situation out ... we're talking about two people who still (ostensibly) love each other, right?

If prior to marriage, the "unbelieving" spouse-to-be has an obligation to make his or her partner aware of the situation and not make pretenses toward belief just to keep the other happy. Assuming the partner is aware and understands, some agreement ought to be reached on these things ahead of time. That doesn't mean someone won't change their mind down the road (it might seem easy to say "I don't care what the kids get taught" until you actually have some), but at least it was a known factor going in.

If during the marriage, then the one making the change (either into activity, or out of it) carries the obligation of being considerate toward his or her spouse's wishes. The whole world of religious activity doesn't change immediately just because YOU don't believe any more (or vice versa, because you want to start coming back).

That said, I don't know a mixed-faith couple (or active-inactive) for whom it hasn't caused considerable strife. It's a very difficult thing to be "unequally yoked" as they way.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote