View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
My contention is that one of our brothers in the gospel froze to death in the heart of the highest Mormon concentration in the world (as did 12 others over the last two winters btw) while the Church to which he belongs builds a fiscally prudent endowment amount in the multiple billions.

I wonder if God cares less about how big our endowment is and cares more about how we are taking care of each other.

Bottom line: It is a discussion that I think we should be having in the Church. Right now, we aren't even thinking about it. Blind sheep blindly trusting whichever bureaucrat the Apostles have chosen to trust with this responsibility. That is one way to run an organization. And maybe it is God's way. But I have my doubts.
While this may be an issue to discuss, your example is almost certainly misleading. People die from exposure with some frequency in San Francisco and there are many available shelters and other organizations devoted to avoiding such deaths. It also seems ot me that nothign about the church's financial situation stops you or any other resident of the area (or any resident of any area) from attempting to make sure that people aren't freezing to death. I realize you're trying to make a larger point but I think you might have chosen a better example.