View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 08:02 PM   #33
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Adam may have a point here. As I drive by the new Rexburg temple I wonder if God wouldn't have been happier with a little smaller, simpler building and the extra money going toward helping the poor or downtrodden.

I say this realizing that the church does a great job with their charity work already.
If anything, I'd say the LDS Church is too pedestrian, cookie cutter, fixated on the practical, unimaginitive, and cheap in its buildings. They are for the most part ugly, in a word. One of Catholicism's great contributions to our civilizatoin has been an indellible aesthetic legacy and sensibility still rife even in popular culture such as Harry Potter. Perhaps more important than helping the poor is a religion's role of making our spirits soar with the grandeur of its symbolism and art. Even the Salt Lake temple is tiny and simple compared to many great European cathedrals and basilicas.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 07-19-2007 at 08:04 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote