View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
http://themwc.cstv.com/

I would only call it a mild surprise that BYU is picked to finish #2. After Utah's incredible Fiesta Bowl year they were picked to finish #1 I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) and they struggled, but finished strong with a bowl win.

To be honest that's what I expect out of this year's BYU team. I expect them to struggle for the first 4-6 weeks out of the gate while Max Hall figures everything out. 4 of their first 6 games are on the road. I think in spite of all the Senior Leadership lost that winning 8 games this year would not be a step backwards, and a great building block for the 08' and 09' seasons.

I expected TCU to be #1. No surprise there. I will say though in spite of their great defense, I just get this feeling that they're overhyped. Their first year in the league they beat BYU and Utah in undeniably controversial fashion, while in 07' the outcome down the stretch wasn't in doubt. I guess I'm not convinced they can do it offensively, but then again Patterson's teams never have really been about that, as they have been about winning with defense, special teams and a ball control, grind it out style. Seems to work really well for them.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I think New Mexico could be scarier than normal if their QB starts playing really well. I was impressed with Donovan Porterie's poise as a freshman...although after Bob Toledo leaving,,yet again they're having to learn a new offense. I was also impressed with the poise of Wyoming's Freshman QB Karsten Sween.

The standings look about right although I would've voted the top 3: TCU, Utah, BYU.....but it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Finally Bryan Kehl got some recognition being voted on the 1st TEAM Defense. I kept on laughing at every pre-season publication that came out which left him off of every list. The guy is the best Linebacker in the MWC....and if Nixon is healthy those two pose one of the better 1-2 punch Linebacker duos around.

I also would've voted Brian Johnson as the Pre-Season Offensive Player of the Year...but it is hard to argue with the Aaron Brown one.

IN reality pre-season polls are mostly a joke and often aren't a great reflector of what will happen......I'm just bored and can't wait for football to start and any discussion is fun.
Believe it or not i agree with this post. I do like Rodney Ferguson as player of the year though.