Thread: Minimum Wage
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 05:46 AM   #24
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Out of curiosity, do you believe that your environment (or anyone's environment) has any impact at all on your likelihood of future economic success? Or are you going to take all of the credit for any successes you may have had in life?

I remember meeting a kid on my mission in Chile who went out every day to sell gum and trinkets on a bus. I found him annoying, because he seemed to be on every bus I rode and he was always so pushy with the sales. One day, I happened to come across the kid at his home. His father had just beaten him to a bloody pulp (he was 6) for not selling enough for the day. The father then took the kid's money and sent him off to buy some cheap wine (so the father could then get drunk and beat the kid some more).

Now I realize that the kid just wasn't making his own reality. I mean, he was a great salesman! The future is very bright for that lad with all of his talents and opportunities (and please don't try and pretend that you think things just like this don't happen in the US).
Studies have shown that even your great-grandparents circumstances can be a good predictor of your economic success.