View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
What is with that? If my dad/mom went to a teacher and found out the reason I was getting a bad grade was because I wouldn't do the work, the LAST thing that would occur to them is to try and get the teacher to change the grade.

And what the hell is with the Principal caving in? I've heard this story about 1000 times (I know a lot of teachers).

Student does poorly, teacher explains what student needs to do to get a decent grade, student doesn't do it, parents complain/sue the teacher.

In most of these cases my old man would have given me a swift kick in the ass (a-la-Red Forman) and told me to go in and do whatever the teacher asked and then say thank you for not flunking me.

Do these parents really think they're helping their children?
Unfortunately, it's how the world is today. Parents don't want to have to spend time doing what is needed to help their kid - help with homework, signing up to be a class parent at the school, etc. - but demand that the teacher not hold the kid accountable. Also, these kids are spoiled and feel that they're entitled to a good grade because their parents have money. Of course, it's not just limited to those with money, as those without money demonstrate the same sense of entitlement.

As for principals caving into the pressure, I have no idea why. Perhaps something about administration makes one a wuss.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote