View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 03:56 AM   #46
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Maybe it's because I majored in English and turned into a snob, but there is very little contemporary literature that I read. I do pick up and read things like Freakonomics, Da Vinci Code, Moneyball and Celestine Prophecy to stay conversational. I guess I am just a big dork, a superficial one at that.

I fly through most books. I'll kill a hundred pages in an hour easily especially if it's something like Da Vinci Code. In fact, I read that book in one sitting. I try and stick to the canon. I hate fantasy and sci-fi, but I'll branch out and read the classics because of some innate feeling I have that it is my obligation to do so.

To Kill a Mockingbird. Harper Lee's work is the great American novel.

Anything by Flannery O'Connor. Her short stories are her best work. You can pick up a compilation at Borders or Barnes & Noble. A Good Man is Hard to Find, Good Country People, and Everything that Rises Must Converge are must reads.

Harry Potter series. I didn't understand the rage. I was on my mission when the first books were huge hits. I have since read every book and have become a fan.

Ender's Game was a page turner for me. I thoroughly enjoyed. I know I said above that I hate sci-fi and fanatsy and I list books from each genre here.

The Giver. A great novel.

I love juvenile literature. The Lemony Snicket series is great. There are many allusions that any well read person will thoroughly enjoy.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote