View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #101
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

I normally don't even read the religious topics here....

But this is a conversation I was having with a young woman yesterday at church.

My oldest daughter is 15 years old. I would say in the last year she has probably brought 10 of her girlfriends with her to church. 2 of these girls have taken a real liking to the church and have come on a weekly basis for the past few months. Both of these girls just finished a week at a BYU soccer camp in Provo with my daughter. (We live in California, so this isn't a two block drive.)

Yesterday is church instead of sitting right next to my daughter, I am seated next to her friend. (She doesn't have a Dad in her home, she looks up to me as a "father" figure so this is okay by all.)

I realize during the meeting that she hasn't sung anything out of the hymnal with us during the entire meeting. I don't question it while we are there in church. (I know for a fact she has a great singing voice though.)

Last night while we are eating Sunday dinner, (Usually if you go to church with us you stay and eat dinner with us. Not a rule, but when church gets out at 330...) I ask her why she doesn't sing during church..

This is her direct quote...

"Your songs are for white people. They are boring and make me want to go to sleep. You guys should look at some other churches to find out what a hymn is. The stuff you guys sing is slow and not fun."

She is a 15 year old black girl.

It suprised me a little bit, and I would tend to agree with her.

But she isn't going to let that deter her. She is seriously contemplating starting the discussions with the missionaries.

She also had a similar complaint/experience at soccer camp at BYU...

Upon picking the girls up on Friday at the completion of camp she says the following...(A very bright girl btw....)

Me: Girls...how was camp?

Daughter: Good.
Friend 1: Good.
Friend 2: Good. Mr. The_Tick...did you know I was the only black person there? 9 guy teams, 9 girl teams. 14 players on each team, and I am the only black person there. Not even a black girl on the BYU soccer team. You all are weird.

We all laughed about it.....but she brings up a great point.

Not enough diversity in the LDS church.