View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 AM   #18
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
The argument was made that once the church was fully restored, these kinds of revelations were not as necessary. As Arch notes, for many, that doesn't feel right. The need for constant guidance is testified to by the mere existence of men whom we sustain as Prophets, Seers, and Revelators. I do not believe that we have reached a point where we have enough of God's word to be able to live our lives in accordance with his will; I don't know that we will ever reach that point.
Excellent point. I certainly didn't mean to imply that revelation was no longer necessary. Just pointing out why JS had so many. And I think we'd agree that the kind of revelation that is received today is more along the lines of clarification and reconciling modern times with revealed truth, as opposed to revealing new truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
Were I called upon to do so, I could bear testimony of the fact that revelation from God to man is a frequent occurrence, citing specific examples in my life and in the lives of those who have entrusted me with some of their most sacred moments. It is real, it is available, and we have but to seek after it.
This is the crux of my point. What is needed is for all of us (myself as much as anybody) to further develop our personal relationship with God and our ability to receive personal revelation. This is a spiritual quest, not an academic one (or at least not academic alone). If one is studying, and praying about the things learned, seeking enlightment from God via the Holy Ghost, not just from one's own intellect, that is great. But intellectual / academic pursuits without the spiritual is fraught with peril IMO.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote