View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

It's possible that Thompson has missed his window of opportunity.
You might be right. The Thompson craze reminds me of when Lavell used to say that BYU fans always thought the best QB was the one not playing.

Thompson will face several challenges. First, getting cash quick. Many of the big donors have chosen their candidates, so his pool may be limited.

Second, building an effective infrastructure in key states in a short period of time. The best campaign consultants are employed by other candidates to further add difficulty.

Third, he'll finally have to face the full scale assault of other campaigns. He will be the main focus of the other candidates and they'll go after him hard. Their powder has been kept dry up to this point, so who knows how he'll handle himself.

Fourth, the standard strategy of political campaigns is to keep public expectations low and then overachieve. The media has made him out to be the great GOP hope, so he has to deliver big. It's not likely to happen.

I've always liked Senator Thompson, but I've never been blown-away impressed with him. Hopefully he'll do well. A good showing by him will only serve to, as Bronco would say, raise the barfor the other candidates
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote