View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 11:06 PM   #26
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Thanks for the info. Admittedly I am a neophyte regarding this topic. Do you have any titles of works by either Cassuto or Kitchen?
Cassuto wrote in the thirties and forties and later, an Italian Jewish Rabbi. If you google his name with Documentary Hypothesis, you will be able to find a link. I have it at home.

Kitchen still lives, I believe, and is a chair at one of the English universities. His work centers around verifiable names, dates, events based on archaeological discoveries and existing liturgical and nonliturgical evidences. His work is quite technical, and for the most part, difficult to read, unless one is well-versed in the technicques of archaeology.

There are others that address these others, but they are notable because their scholarship is of good quality, and in Cassuto's case helped cause scholars to relook at how the Documentary Hypothesis should be accepted.

At first, scholars fell in love with the DH, using four sources, and the splitting into almost dozens of sources. Cassuto uses rabbinic traditions and an intimate understanding of the ancient languages to arrive at a conclusion supporting the Orthodox Jewish view that Moses compiled the Pentateuch.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-07-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote