View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 01:32 AM   #75
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Let's see, if you take two guys with equally quick and compacty swings and one guy is 20% stronger than the other guy, who will hit the ball farther? Or, if you bring in the fecnes in every ballpark 10-15%, will you hit more home runs?

You also seem to think that the only drug Bonds took was steroids. That si not likely. While he certainly took steroids, he also probabyl took HGH or someo ther simialr PED. THis would have not only made him stronger, but it owuld have made hiim recover more quickly, given him better endurance, rejuvenated his connective tissue and perhaps even improived his eyesight. MLB did not test for all of these PEDs but their use is still illegal.
It's a hypothetical that can never be tested. Because in baseball all things will never be equal. So really it was unfair of me to ask. But studies that have been done are inconclusive at best.

He may have taken additional PEDs. He may have only taken the cream and clear that one time he admitted to his entire career. I doubt he took PEDs for recovery. The guy takes more nights off than any other player in the league.

Again we can all speculate as to what he took and how it might have helped him, but at the end of the day, just like Teddy Williams used to say, the hardest thing in sports is to hit a round ball with a round bat. Or as Pete Rose added, it's a round ball and a round bat and you have to hit it square. And Bonds has done that just about better than everyone. Steroids don't put the bat on the ball.

And again, aside from the aberration of 73, he has been remarkably consistent with his power. Do I believe steroids made him 20% stronger and turned 23 more pop ups into home runs? Not for a second.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote