View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 AM   #77
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
It's not that kind of recovery. It's the kind that allows your muscles to recover more quickly so body-building efforts are more producitve. Bonds himself is a study. Look at his production. Pitching was pretty much the same. In 2000 he hits what had been up until then the highest number of HR in his career, which was 49. In 2001 he then saw an increase of 50% to 73. This increase is between his 15 and 16th seasons. I think the claim of 20% is modest. I realize that Maris did somethign simiaslr, but he did so without all of the other indicia of cheating and illegality that Bonds has shown. Sure, bonds is a great player, and he would be great under any circumstance, but he bought this record thorugh the use of PEDs and the silence of his buddy Greg Anderson. You might think that's ok, but it seems imposible to deny.
I am not denying it. He admitted to taking the cream and clear so there's no sense in saying he never took PEDs.

But I don't buy that he bought the record through PEDs. I will never be convinced that steroids helped him hit more home runs than anyone else. Nobody will ever be able to determine how many he hit with their aid. And likewise nobody could say how many more he could have hit if pitchers he were facing weren't taking PEDs either.

And like you acknowledged Maris did the same thing. Different era, much more difficult to do then in my opinion than today. Both had remarkable years that were clearly out of their averages.

I don't buy the age thing either as though there is no way a 37 year old could hit that many homeruns.

I am not a Bonds fan. Never liked him. But he's the best baseball player of this generation. It's worth saying again, he was the best before the steroid allegations and he's been the best since.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote