View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #60
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
There can be no Great American Songwriter. Most of the songwriters mentioned thus far have been middle-aged white guys from the Eastern US. Few of us here would recognize someone like Tupac as a Great American Songwriter, but we're all white guys. There is no artist that sufficiently spans the US cultural boundary to lay claim to Great American Songwriter.
Your comment is thought provoking. I agree there is no single "Great American Songwriter". However, there exists an elite level of classical and American composers whose work is complex, revolutionary and sustainable over time. The earliest written western music was inscribed on ancient Greek urns and "great music" has been a source of subjective debate ever since. I believe this is so because of the deep spiritual feelings music inspires.

Since it is fashionable to make lists, I humbly submit my subjective view of the "top four" in each category:

Classical ("The Source")

1. Bach - Codified and standardized music. If you don't believe his greatness, try composing a true fugue that uses all 24 major keys. Number one in all the polls.
2. Mozart - If you don't cry during his Requiem, you have no soul.
3. Beethoven - The "grand architect". Broke all the barriers. The perfect storm of genius, creativity and work ethic.
4. Brahms - Did the impossible - improved on Beethoven.

American Composers

1. Copeland - Stands alone, uniquely American.
2. Gershwin - Pure musical genius - also wrote classical music.
3. Irving Berlin - Prodigious, creative and stands the test of time.
4. Paul Simon - Surprisingly complex music and great variety.

Remember, these are my subjective opinions. I am interested in yours.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote