View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
My older brother played football in high school and college, so I really got into the sport as a kid, at first, mostly to impress him and so I could know what the heck he was doing during the games. From about fifth grade until my sophomore year of high school, I would watch hours and hours of football on TV. I read the sports section of the newspaper and checked out a bunch of player biographies, etc. from the library. If you read my 8th grade yearbook you would know that my goal in life then was to become the first female NFL referee.

I had an impressive knowledge of the game at the time and probably would have kicked many of your butts in NFL trivia. But at about 15 or 16, I got too busy with school and friends that my game watching tapered off dramatically. Plus, none of the cute soccer players at my school were impressed with my football knowledge.

Today, I can watch a game and understand what is going on, but there are other things I'd rather do. If someone invites us over to watch a game, I love to go and socialize, but I no longer pay close attention to all the plays.
What is interesting about these discussions is not the lack of insight many women display in regards to football, but the pedastal that men put themselves on it for being spectators.

I'm as big a spectator as the next guy, but it seems odd that guys who may never have donned shoulder pads are now the world's greatest experts and he-men because they are the world's greatest spectators. I have more fun discussing the game with former coaches or college players than I do with the average fan. OTOH, anybody who enjoys the pageantry of the game, male or female is a good companion for a game.