Thread: The Great Brain
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was a YM president several years back I had a group of priests who really weren't planning on missions. None of their fathers had served and none of them were expected by their families to serve. I wanted them to read Groberg's "In the Eye of the Storm" (which I think describes one of the most exciting modern missions) to try and get them excited about the idea of serving a mission. This was before the book's name was changed to match the movie that I didn't like. I tried bribing with food, a party when all were finished etc... Of my 6 priests I got not one taker. No readers in the bunch.

We had tried the same thing prior to that with the Book of Mormon. The Bishop and I even met with them after church each Sunday at the Bishop's home. He furnished Marie Calendar pie and we'd all read a couple of chapters together with the goal of being able to say they'd actually read the book. Attendance dropped to 0 within a month. If you figure out what motivates non-readers to read let me know. I'd hoped that actually getting a few pages into the book would do it, but I couldn't get them that far.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 08-21-2007 at 01:53 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote