View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
The problem with herbs is the lack of controlled studies. Herbal salespeople make a bunch of unverifiable claims.

And from what I know, often the herbs are too dilute to produce the properties which many proponents make.

Conversely, before we had the titration and concentration techniques, herbs were our first medicines, so to opine that no herbs are of benefit would be false.

Usually, if there's high profit without verification, one should worry. In those cases, what I've usually found is benign substances that work no benefits, and merely loosen cash from the pockets of the possessor.
Here is my "sniff test" when someone approaches me about some of this stuff. I ask the following:

1) has the medicine been subjected to double-blind clinical trial? If it truly works like you claim, it should perform wonderfully in such a trial.

2) does the physician doing the diagnosis also make any money selling the "medicine" resulting from the diagnosis? If so, it is a blatant conflict of interest and is unethical.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote