View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
As a former rider (I gave up the donor cycle after a close call), I can affirm that a woman can ride any bike a man can if she's willing to put the time into learning how to maneuver it (just as a man would have to do).

Upper body strength can help with a long ride, but most of riding a big bike is just practice, balance, and confidence.

But you wouldn't want to commute on a motorcycle anyway (I know you just want to make a point with your roommate). Commuting is maximum risk with minimum enjoyment.
I agree up to a point. When you're actually riding, what you say is true. Bikes have a low center of gravity and it doesn't take a lot of strength to maneuver them. The problem is when you're going very low speeds or are stopped or are trying to back the bike up. I have a good friend who has an 800cc cruiser and she does fine until she has to back to it up. She always makes me help her back it into a parking space.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote