View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 03:38 AM   #36
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
You don't think it is possible that the treatment of Shinsecki and Taguba, etc. is a plausible motivation to toe the party line?
You make a good point. I think it's plausible and could have some influence over Petraus, but I see two major differences that keep me skeptical.

First, the bulk of the tension with Shinsecki and Taguba was with Rumsfeld. Although President Bush bears the responsibility of his SecDef's actions, Gates seems to be have a much better demeanor. He doesn't appear to have the same dogmatic and vindictive attitude as Rumsfeld.

Second, the timing of the treatment of Shinsecki/Taguba is considerably different than would be the potential ill treatment of Petraus. The former two generals were relatively unknown on a national level until they bucked the administration. The subsequent actions of the administration toward these two fine men is what made them famous amongs political followers. In Patraus' case, he already has the trust and national recognition that he needs to shield himself. The administration and Congress have publicly placed their faith in him, thus limiting themselves to take any serious retributive measures for an honest, albeit negative, assesment.

Now, I may be overemphasizing these two differences but I don't think they should be overlooked.

Last edited by YOhio; 09-15-2007 at 03:53 AM.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote