View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #38
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I didn't see this thread just until now, but would like to add my 2 cents.

For awhile back from 1999-2002 I was reading everything I could get my hands in regards to WWII. The fact that 50-60 million people perished in that war is such a mind boggling stat that I have difficulty wrapping my brain around it. 400-500K of those American Casualties.

After reading a lot about it I became convinced that for the sake of plagiarizing Tom Brokaw that it was indeed "The Greatest Generation".

I'm part of Gen X. We didn't really have to do much or sacrifice much. The more I watched kids in this day and age the more I'm convinced they haven't a clue what real sacrifice means and just how much for granted they take their freedoms.

My Dad was drafted for the Korean War and suffered a severe back injury during Boot Camp and never went overseas. I'm grateful for the bad backs he's passed on to his 5 sons. All in his regime, save 7, were slaughtered on PorkChop Hill.

I also take my freedoms way too much for granted.

I have found myself many times regretting that I never served in the military or ever have to go to war helping to fulfill my duty. Part of that guilt admittedly drives me to cherish those even more who sacrificed on my behalf.

I guess that's also part of the reason why I take a great deal of pride in my brothers now 20 year career in the USAF. He's served 2 tours in the middle east during the war and is on the rotation to leave again sometime next Spring.

He's coming home next week, bringing his son to the MTC and all 8 siblings will be in town for what may likely be the final real family picture because of my parents continued downward health.

I've a nephew who also served 12 months in Afghanistan in the Army.

Sorry this is such a long winded explanation to make my point, but there's many things in life I've likely missed and being able to serve my country in that regard is one of them. Am I grateful I never went to war or had to fight? Yes I am,,,but at the same time.....well I'm sure you all get the point.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 09-24-2007 at 11:32 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote