View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #48
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Do you happen to have a reference to this many-years-ago article?

Given how little we really know about the translation process, and given what we do know about the JST process, I personally don't find it far-fetched that Joseph would couch the translation language in terms with which he was familiar. Anyone who's ever tried to do a translation knows there is almost never one perfect way to translate an idea, especially ideas as abstract as those in the gospel.

But in reality I don't have a good explanation either. With a hat tip to Indy, I too find it beyond reason to think that Joseph start free-wheeling it with the Bible right in the middle of his translation process.
Why would that be "free-wheeling" it? For the life of me, I can't understand why that concept would be so troublesome or disturbing to people. Why reinvent the wheel? He already had access to a translation; why not use it? JS never claimed that the BOM was perfect. Quite the contrary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As to the "Official Cougarguard Position", it's near axiom now that if there's a position on an issue that can cast a prophet or LDS leader in an unfavorable light, the majority here will take it. There seems to be an uncanny amount of glee in seeing how "human" we can make them look.
First of all, you're FOS with your axiom.

Second, I do not agree that this casts JS in a negative light.