View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The HC should be dropped for more than just athletes.

It has always bothered me that there are people at BYU who are paid to ferret out sinners and enforce Church rules. If I go to BYU, why is it anybody's business if I drink a cup a coffee with my bagel in the morning? What a person chooses to eat or drink or inhale on his/her own time, in his/her own apartment is really nobody's business.

I talked with a guy once who was not a student and not a member of the Church. He took a summer job in Provo and rented an apartment near his place of work. The apartment happened to be BYU approved housing. This guy was up in Salt Lake City one day, and he happened to be smoking a cigarette. Somebody in his apartment complex saw him, reported him, and effectively got him kicked out of his apartment. Am I the only one that is disturbed by that sort of thing?

Students that go to BYU are adults. BYU is supposed to be an academic institution. It is not EFY with books. If you attend BYU and are a member of the Church, any sins you commit are between you and the Lord. Not between you, the Lord, the HC office, and nosy student informants.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote