View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
It's my opinion that ancient myths such as Prometheus date back to Adam rather than Christian "myths" being the result of liberal co-opting of Greek, Assyrian and Babylonian myths.

Back in the humanity's infancy, they had the Gospel. As time marched on and humanity continued to fragment into various groups and drift away from the Gospel, they still clung on to various elements of the Gospel and manipulated them to fit their new belief system.

$0.02
I think this is the pretty standard LDS approach, that there was Original Truth that was corrupted over time. this approach, though, seems to struggle to resolve issues that appear to have been part of the original story but no longer correspond to modern belief (i.e. the Hebrew worship of a female goddess - Asherah). Whether in the OT, NT, or 20th century, there seems to be a tension between the idealized "Original Truth" and "Today's Version". More often than not, I suspect, "Original Truth" is modified to correspond with status quo.