View Single Post
Old 09-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
If you were to state history in the Western sense, according to Greek rational … and avoid sweeping generalizations you often make about religion, especially Christianity and it’s origins, it’s myths, it’s cyclical end times anxieties being a truly global phenomenon then I could refrain from my contentions and simply read your posts.

And what is the Chinese root for the Chinese word history? Is it also derived from the Greeks?

Western culture, history, religiosity represents one third or less of human kinds culture, history, religiosity; yes, we can thank the Greeks for philosophy and sitcoms, but who do the Greeks thank? What the Greeks accomplished did not occur in a bubble.

Furthermore I never claimed ignorance, I claimed myopia, which perhaps is incorrect terminology; prejudice might be more correct.
So, wait a second. I'm prone to "sweeping generalizations" while prejudicially focusing on a specific time and place? Which is it?

Christianity's origins, myths, and cycles are not a global phenomenon, in my opinion. Did you think I said so? I can't tell what, exactly, you're accusing me of.

Why would I mention Chinese history when discussing the origins of (western!) Christianity? Seems like a red herring to me, but obviously you have something in mind. Sure, the Greeks weren't in a vacuum, but their innovations have impacted today's (western) world - the world you and I live in - more than any other ancient culture.

I take umbrage at your insinuation that I'm somehow prejudiced or narrow-minded because I don't discuss the cultures of the far east. I would, if I felt it appropriate. The religion you and I are most familiar with - modern, western Christianity - especially LDS faith - is a product of western tradition. The Chinese, Indian, African, or Native American cultures and traditions had negligible influence on the ideas that formed the creeds, doctrines, and theologies of today's Christian and LDS church. If you disagree, please provide a rationale and counter-argument.

Also, a few specific examples of my malfeasance would help me understand what you're getting at. I'm not trying to pick a fight, TB, just trying to follow you better. Your criticism is a bit mystifying to me, since this thread was begun as a report of some comparative myth in western thought - myth that continues to hold resonance in today's Christian, especially LDS world.

If you'd like to do some comparative myth with some non-western cultures, be my guest, but I imagine you'd be hard pressed to find anything that correlates with the origins of contemporary Christian / LDS culture and belief.