View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #44
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
So where does alegory end and factual truth begin? Is the whole trip to the Americas, clear up to the Lamanite annihilation of the Nephites, parable? What about the plates left in the hillside? Was that parable/allegory, the plates symbolizing a concept, left by someone's alter ego, the angel Moroni a symbol of something? It sounds like the makings of an interesting Sunstone article anyway.

Tex, buddy, what's your take on this?
Can a story be both parable and factual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I haven't ever thought that the Spirit literally spoke words to Nephi. Rather, I have always been of the opinion that Nephi realized he was in an advantageous position, considered the situation, determined that Laban needed to be killed, and then felt through the Spirit that his decision was correct. His words of having Laban delivered into his hands were, I think, Nephi's words that he believed were then confirmed by the Spirit.
That's an interesting conclusion, since I always thought Nephi made very clear that the words, whether literally spoken by the Spirit or not, were not his.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote