Thread: In my opinion
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #21
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I agree with Mike on this one. Are we supposed to be content with competing for the MWC crown every year? BYU should win it every year. The MWC sucks.
I think all folks have their right to define what will make them content. I personally believe if folks are not content with the current direction they are miserable and probably will never be happy as fans.

Now my definition of success. I don't think BYU's potential is to dominate year and year out. I think BYU's potential is to win it outright, and occasionally make a splash on the national scene, when their offensive skill players are experienced. When their offensive skill players are young/innexperienced I consider it to be a rebuilding year for BYU. I think to expect BYU to win/dominate the MWC those years is only an expectation for those woefully ill informed as to BYU's challenges as well as the relative ability of other conference teams.

The mid tier and bottom tier of the MWC will usually suck. However, between Utah, TCU and BYU there will occasionally be a second good MWC team, I will say that will happen about once every 3 years. Further, it is not uncommon for one of the middle tier teams to be a decent bowl team like Utah was last year.

The MWC ain't like playing in Big 12 or Pac 10 or SEC or even the Big East. But it is better than folks give it credit and I think given BYU's challenges fairly commensurrate to the Y situation. I will say that if many of you get your wish for BYU to play in Pac-10 or Big-12 within 4 years you will look longingly back at BYU's good situation in the MWC.

Further, I believe that if BYU establishes dominance of the MWC the other big time chances, however you folks define that because so far there has been nothing but claiming that winning won't be good enough, will follow. Consistency is the key in college football.