View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #36
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Two points:

1. Our understanding of Young's September 1851 conference, as you note, is vague in how widespread and binding the signs of approval were. It seems clear, however, from the rest of the article, though, that the idea of WoW = commandment was still undetermined.

2. Even if the WoW was a bona fide commandment in 1851, it still allows for the consumption of beer. My biggest question isn't whether or not the WoW is a commandment or counsel, but why the modern, current version seems to contradict the text of the revelation.

Even Young's later statements laid out in this article that lament the continued use of prohibited substances (e.g. tea, coffee) criticize the consumption of liquor - not beer.

Commandment or not, it seems that the prohibition against beer is unfounded.
I confess my alcohol knowledge is not good enough for me to go tit-for-tat with you on liquor vs. beer vs. other forms, or iced tea vs. hot tea, etc. It's enough for me that a modern prophet has interpreted it this way, whether or not it came from an unclear 1851 sustaining vote or not. I doubt very seriously were you to ask one of them, that they would agree with your view that it contradicts the text. If the Lord commanded it, they could add Big Macs to the list and it will still comport with the spirit of the revelation.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 10-02-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote