Thread: Well, we're off
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

The Lake Tahoe marathon went well. They make a whole week out of it, with everything from ultramarathons to 100 yard dash for the kids. Some of the big events are the triple marathon (three marathons, three days) and a 72 mile run around the lake.

When we woke up Saturday morning we were greeted with about an inch of snow on the ground. Temperature was about 25 degrees, but warmed up to about 60 degrees by mid afternoon.

My wife said the altitude (starts at 6,200', highest point 6,850') was not a big deal, even though we live and train at about 500' elevation. The thing that made the run difficult was the hills. The first 13-14 miles were fairly flat. But starting at mile 14 they hit 3 big hills, each between 1 and 2 miles. And steep. We drove the course next day and I was amazed they ran up those things. Actually, she said nearly everybody walked up them, so this was not a personal-best type course.

The scenery was outstanding. The weather was gorgeous. my wife was very pleased to have finished and felt fairly well at the end. Her knees were hammered from all of the hills, and the quads were pretty sore the next day, but feels much better today. She said she is done for about a year, with her next marathon probably being St. George or Logan next fall.

My next one will be the week after never.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote