View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
You have this backwards. I was raised Catholic and still keep up with things to some extent. The NAB is what is used in Mass and is the generally accepted version since approx Vatican II (possibly with minor revisions to the NAB, don't know about that, myself). The Candians have gone over to the NRSV, with the "inclusive language". The US were planning to do the same, but somehow there was opposition, presumably from conservatives who don't like replacing the usage of "men" with "humans" type thing. I'm sure there's more to it, but I don't keep up with the gory details, even in the day when I, myself, would read from the pulpit. (BTW, Catholic lay people read from the bible from the pulpit but only Deacons and Priests can editorialize. Oh, and Deacons and Priests are older than 15.)
Perhaps my sources are incorrect. They say that the NAB is not what is used in Mass. What is used is a revision of the NAB, that while based on the NAB, only exists for clerical use. A lay Catholic can't go out and buy and read this version. While Vatican II authorized the NAB, conservatives at high levels have gained influence since then and have monkeyed with it.

Here's a guy writing in First Things: A Journal of Religion, Culture, and Public Life:

"At present, three translations are approved for Catholic liturgical use: the New Jerusalem, the RSV, and the New American Bible (NAB). The lectionaries and the several publishers of Mass guides, however, use only the NAB.... The bishops had the NAB updated to the Revised New American Bible (RNAB), but Rome had objections to that and hurriedly appointed a committee to fix it up into what might be called the Amended Revised New American Bible (ARNAB), which will soon become mandatory in lectionary use. Technically, the RSV and New Jerusalem are still permitted but, with ARNAB as the mandatory translation of the future, nobody has any interest in printing lectionaries or Mass guides using those versions. There is the additional oddity that you cannot buy an ARNAB Bible, since only the pericopes (liturgical readings) exist in ARNAB-talk. So Catholics do not have a Bible for personal or group reading that uses the same text that they hear at Mass."
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 10-03-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote