View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default BYU doctorate ranking

A few days ago in this post:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?p=130211

Solon indicated that a BYU undergrad education could hurt one's chances of getting into a good graduate school. Interestingly, I was handed a copy this morning of the results of a study conducted for NSF/NIH/NEH/USED/USDA/NASA. This study tracked US Ph.D. recipients according to where they got their undergraduate degrees. It turns out that BYU ranks #8 in the country on this list, behind (in order) Berkely, Michigan, Cornell, UT-Austin, Illinois, ??? (couldn't read #6 on my photocopy), and UCLA.

This study focused on Ph.D.'s only. However, the guy who gave me the list said that BYU is generally in the top three for M.D.'s and around #2 for dental schools. Not sure about J.D.

Keep in mind that these lists are ranked by raw numbers, not percentages. BYU will show well partly as a result of having a large student body, although that alone certainly would not explain it all.

I am not trying to pick on Solon here. Solon is great. I just thought it was an interesting result and confirmed my understanding that BYU undergrads are highly sought after by graduate schools.