View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
If by doctrine you mean that having plural wives is essential for salvation (as many polygamist sects claim) then I don't buy that.

You keep saying something to the effect of "It is still a doctrine, we are just not practicing it." I am not sure exactly what point you are trying to make. Even non-LDS will agree that polygamy was practiced (apparently without censure) at certain times in the old testament. But it is clearly taboo now. Furthermore, we could use the same line of logic for other things. "Stoning is a doctrine, we are just not practicing it." "Murder is a doctrine (Nephi-Laban), we are just not practicing it." "Human sacrifice is a doctrine (Abraham-Isaac), we are just not practicing it."
We keep going around in circles on this but I'll try one more time.

None of the things you mention are or were ever doctrines essential to the plan of salvation. The true and everlasting covenant is. So you're comparing apples and oranges.

See my response to MikeWaters if you want an example of the doctrine of polygamy/plural marriage, as it is practiced, today in the church (not a breakaway sect). The difference between now and earlier in this dispensation is that it is only practiced beyond the veil, not in this life.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote