View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #67
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
1. The number of nationally televised games back in Ty's day is probably only 30% of the number today. There are just more games on TV. That is why satellites picking up the mtn will mean nothing for BYU's exposure. BECAUSE NO ONE WILL WATCH IT OR EVEN KNOW IT EXISTS. So the loss in exposure goes for beyond the # of games on national TV.

2. I will always choose to join a BCS league. This is BYU's lifeline to longterm survival. BYU is not in a league with its peers (support).

3. The reason BCS bowl game would be nice is due to better opponent (BCS money only delays the inevitable reality that Wyoming is not as important in the landscape as Texas Tech).

4. If you think BYU could never challenge for a NC in a BCS conf., all I have to say is "oh ye of little faith".
On #1 I think I said the tv situation is a debacle. However, what will drive BYU's exposure is wins and players. What I mean by that is if the mtn is on sattellite and Max Hall is a Heisman candidate folks are going to tune in to watch him.

#2. I agree. I think BYU is doing all it can to bring that to pass. I think the best way to package itself is to continue to win its conference and compete with Pac-10 teams in OOC games. It seems to me that BYU is presently trying to schedule Pac-10 OOC games more exclusively than the other BCS conferences. They beat a mediocre team in Provo and brought a lot fans to the Rose bowl and shot themselves in the foot. Next year they go to Seattle and I think will either win or compete again and bring a buttload of fans. I also bet they beat a mid tier Pac-10 team in Provo next year.

#3: I reiterate BYU's best bowl opponents was Tulane and Marhsall, ever. What we really want is a program with a history in a game on TV that pays out well. I think lower tier BCS bowl games provide that. The competition will be similar to KSU in the '96 Cotton Bowl.

#4: I am not one of little faith, I am one that was perhaps a bit more sober, or a few years older, than you were during BYU's glory days. But I would rather BYU in a BCS conference even though I firmly believe that BYU's winning %s would take a hit. I just believe many who think it would be great would whine about the losses.