View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
WHen is the last time you bought a Stones album? The Stones WERE rgeat, no doubt, but after the last 372 albums, all issued in support fo the steel wheel chair tour or somesuch, I can't say they do much for me now. SO you still like to hear Jagger bellow about sex but can't listen to the Eagles and tequila sunrise? Different strokes (Classic Stones is still great, IMO)

I think choosing the greatest band ever is very hard unless you define the criteria. Are we talking live perfromances? Beatles lose and Springsteen vaults very high. Are we tlakign recorded perfromances? Beatles leap back up and other groups like Steely Dan suddenly show well. SO it all depends on what we are talkign about. Eiother way, and I do admire Eddy's gyuitar work, Van Halen does not make my perosnla top 5 (and this is coming from a guy who was in a band that covered almost every song from their first two albums, so I know early VH pretty well).
First criteria is that you must be familiar with more contemporary artists, as well...say the last 10 or 15 so years. And, no, this does not mean tossing out an obligatory U2 reference.

Younger music aficionados can surely appreciate and recognize the place the Stones, Beatles, and Elvis have in the pantheon of rock because we all grew up listening to it with our parents (and it truly is masterful), but I wonder if older people have followed popular contemporary music enough to discuss more current bands, trends, etc..

Not saying you are not able to discuss such (I don't know anyone's age here, mind you), but just wondering out loud.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote