View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
II don't fault Spielburg for making it, or anyone for wanting to see it, and if someone says it gives them deeper appreciation, fine. But I don't like the suggestion that my appreciation is inferior because I haven't.
My take from Lebowski wasnt so much a suggestion that our appreciation is inferior...as much as he personally feels a closer kinship to the events through the on-screen visual. He wasnt advocating an en masse viewing of an unedited war movie. I view them as mutually exclusive.

To this point, if any of you are ever in LA and would like a very wonderful museum experience (unfortunately not the Museum of Sex, which is on 5th Avenue), go check out the Simon Wiesenthal Museum of Tolerance, which is basically the West Coast Holocaust museum. it is located about 10 mins from the LA Temple. While nowhere near the scale of the DC Museum, it certainly is worth the visit. You are assigned a name card of a Nazi prisoner (not always a jewish person, btw) and then proceed through a series of exhibits and short films that show pictures, artifacts, and most interestingly, actual interviews of concentration camp survivors. You are afforded the chance to learn a bit more about the life of the person whose name you are carrying through the use of computer databases. At the very end of the tour, you find out whether the person you were carrying survived or died. My person died. I wept.

In one of the interviews, a survivor is asked about the importance of the work of the SHOAH foundation and of movies like Schindler's List. The survivor commented that the SHOAH foundation work is critical because it documents real people who were actually there. But he had never bothered to watch Schindler's List because he said, in essence, that no movie could ever match what he went through.

There is also a MOT in NY, so if you are there, go check out the MOT and the Museum of Sex in one weekend.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote