View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 09:29 PM   #49
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't agree that message isn't great. The closing scenes of SPR comprise an allegory for how we all should feel. In fact, that feeling and motivation to live a good life because of soldiers' sacrifices is the deal you make with them when they go out and lay it all on the line for your freedom and security while you stay at home and live the good life. That has been the message of all such dramatic and literary works since the Iliad. I would go so far as to say that one of the things that is deeply wrong with our country is people feel they have no need to feel that kind of metaphysical debt to anyone. People are cluelsess about how hard won were our liberties, prosperity and security, and how fragile they are. We're fucked.
I agree that we owe much to those who fought in WW2, but think that remembering and feeling grateful to them is about all we can do. I'm trying to do my part to give back to society, but not because of them. What they did is not repayable, so I'm not trying. There is much that goes into it, and the motivation to live a good life is already ingrained in most of us, without the need of feeling overly indebted to WW2 soldiers. In my opinion, guilt is very rarely a good thing, so a movie encouraging it in such a large number of people doesn't really sit well with me.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote