View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 04:30 AM   #71
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I couldn't agree more. Though I hesistate to share my personal experience while seeing this movie, I will anyway.
Great story, Rocky. Thanks for sharing.

Your experience mirrors mine somewhat. I first watched SPR at a theater in Seattle at a matinee showing. There were lots of vets in the theater (in uniform - Viet Nam/Korea/WWII) and quite a few older folks who would have been alive during WWII. At the end of the movie, nobody moved during the entire final credits and the theater was as quiet as could be. And when I got up, I noticed that there was not a dry eye in the entire crowd. I don't recall any other movie getting that kind of response. Nothing even close to that.

I don't like much of Spielberg's work. I agree that quite a few of his movies are manipulative and sappy. But you have to give the guy credit when it is due. I found the final scene of SPR to be incredibly powerful and moving. I'll admit that I wear my heart on my sleeve, but in order to call this kind of message "manipulative" one would have to be a heartless SOB.