View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 AM   #74
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Great story, Rocky. Thanks for sharing.

Your experience mirrors mine somewhat. I first watched SPR at a theater in Seattle at a matinee showing. There were lots of vets in the theater (in uniform - Viet Nam/Korea/WWII) and quite a few older folks who would have been alive during WWII. At the end of the movie, nobody moved during the entire final credits and the theater was as quiet as could be. And when I got up, I noticed that there was not a dry eye in the entire crowd. I don't recall any other movie getting that kind of response. Nothing even close to that.

I don't like much of Spielberg's work. I agree that quite a few of his movies are manipulative and sappy. But you have to give the guy credit when it is due. I found the final scene of SPR to be incredibly powerful and moving. I'll admit that I wear my heart on my sleeve, but in order to call this kind of message "manipulative" one would have to be a heartless SOB.
I like a lot of Spielberg movies and there are also some I don't like at all: The Indiana JOnes movies he's done with Lucas are great fun.

I loved Minority Report. There are a lot of "Whodunits?" in Hollywood, but it's the only..."WhosGonnaDoit?" movie I think I've ever seen. Very creative and well done.

Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List are 2 of the best movies I've ever seen. The scene in Schindler's with the girl and the red coat is still burned into my memory.

His productions of Band of Brothers with Tom Hanks are excellent.

Catch Me If You Can is a fun flick.