View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You know, a former client of mine went down on a pair of felonies. It was on charges that you might not think would be treated as seriously as they are. He had done something stupid, but was certain that he could beat it and certainly didn't want to be a convicted felon. We parted company over this difference of opinion.

I caught up to the lawyer who represented him at trial who then shared with me that the guy have ultimately been offered misdemeanors and passed them up. When I heard that, all the sympathy I had for him evaporated. He did in fact break the law.

So when I read this in the linked article:

"Prosecutors offered him deals, but he and his attorneys rejected them, saying anything that leaves a record for him as a registered sex offender is unfair."

some of my sympathy went away. My guess is that there was a parent there in the back ground who was full of righteous indignation throughout the process who encouraged this young man to stand his ground and never thought for a moment about the fact that the law had been broken.

None of that is a defense of what the judge did here, which was absurd. But take it from me first hand that a lot of people end up victims, last of all, of their own stupidity and misplaced righteous indignation.

Last edited by UtahDan; 10-26-2007 at 10:00 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote