Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
Mike, tooblue,

One of the main challenges of scouting is record-keeping. It can be a real challenge keeping track of advancement and keeping parents updated, especially if you have a lot of boys (I had 15-20). I tried some of the commercial software packages and decided that they were all crap. I ended up writing my own using Visual Basic in Excel. It has all the features that I wanted, including an option to generate a detailed troop status e-mail to send to parents. Boardmail me with your e-mail address if you want a copy.

Have fun.
We used a program called Troopmaster and it was fairly user friendly. You can use it to track advancement, leadership positions, services hours, campouts, parent/leader information, and can also generate email lists like Homeboy mentioned. I didn't notice any real shortcomings with the program.

Shortly after I became familiar with it, I was released. The story of my life.
I hated TroopMaster. Everytime I fired it up, it took me forever to navigate around to find the things I needed. The interface was awful. In fairness, they may have a newer version now than the one I used.

Back when I first started using TroopMaster, we had a guy in the ward who was called to track the data. I gave him the TroopMaster CD (we had paid for a troop license). Well, the poor guy got cancer and died quickly. I asked his wife if she could return the CD but she couldn't find it. You can download the software from the internet, so the only thing I needed off of the CD was the serial number. I called the TroopMaster folks and explained the situation but they refused to give me a new serial number. I had to buy a new copy. Stingy bastards...